One of the things I miss most about not eating sugar, was Nutella. It’s one of my favourite treats but sadly it contains a lot of junk we have to avoid on a keto diet.
So I soon came up with a way of making a sugar free version! This low carb hazelnut chocolate spread tastes pretty similar to Nutella and is so good!
The actual taste, and how sweet it is will vary depending on what sweetener you use. I recommend using xylitol but if you have a doggy make sure to avoid it. Xylitol is toxic for dogs!
This recipie is easy to make and if you’d prefer not to blend hazelnuts yourself you can always buy hazelnut butter.
Keto Hazelnut Chocolate Spread
- Food Processor
- Baking Tray
- 300 g Hazelnuts You can also sub for hazelnut butter, to skip having to roast and blend the hazelnuts.
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2-4 tbsp Xylitol or Erythritol If you have a dog, do not use xylitol. It's not safe for the lil guys.
- 40 g Cocoa
- 0.25 tsp salt
Toasting the hazelnuts
- Preheat your oven to 300F/Gas Mark 2/150C. Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray, and toast for 12-14 minutes until they become a light gold colour.
- While still warm, remove hazelnuts from oven, place them in a ktichen towel and rub them until the skins come off.
Blending the hazelnuts
- Once the skins are off, put the hazelnuts in a food processor and blend until they become a smooth paste. Add in the oil, and continue to blend. To guarantee you get a completely smooth paste you'd need quite a powerful food processor. Cheaper ones won't be quite as smooth, but still just as tasty.
- Once smooth, add in the cocoa, and salt. Blend further to mix it together. Then transfer to an air tight container/jar, and place in the fridge until set.